‘Design and architecture should be agents of social change’ (Kevin Kimwelle, PhD Candidate Professional Associate Nelson Mandela University)
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality created an important partnership with Nelson Mandela University and Mandela Bay Development Agency. The City was looking to build better engagement with its communities. It approached the University for research assistance to develop grounded solutions that support sustainable township economies. The partnership covered a number of projects in various locations throughout the city. As a result, a series of important sustainability projects have been developed and continue to be developed in the city.
The projects undertaken as part of this initiative include:
- Joe Slovo – A Community In Transition
- “Khusta” Khulukile Moko A Waste Picker As A Super Hero
- A Recycled Home For Gogo Selinah- The Forgotten Generation
- Masifunde Learner Development- Empowering The Youth With Education
- Kwazakhele Transition Network – A ‘Gap-Tap’ Responding To Climate Change & Confronting The Apartheid Legacy