INFORMED by the findings of the State of the Cities Report (2011) and the 2012-2016 SACN Strategic Plan which has been approved by the SACN Board, the following priorities have been identified for the current strategic period:
- Enable cities to act with a better understanding by enhancing their
supporting urban development policy, planning, data and support
- Transform the built environment function in cities, in particular by enabling effective strategies and systems for addressing spatial planning and land use, sustainable human settlements, and public transport;
- Deal decisively with key vulnerabilities facing cities, in particular around issues of the natural resource base, municipal finance, human capacity in city administration, and socio-political stability;
- Improve the image of Local Government by improving the experience and perception of city governance and delivery; and
- Enhance the impact of SACN’s knowledge products by delivering and measuring value to policy-makers and practitioners.